Memory foam pillows are made of material invented by NASA during the 1960’s space race. NASA developed a polyurethane material that molded to the user’s body then returned to its shape after extended use. This type of feature translated well into making memory foam pillows. These cushions provide superb support for individuals with back and neck pain. Memory foam responds to body heat and pressure by molding itself to the individual, then returning to the original shape when the heat and pressure disappear.
These pillows tend to resist dust mites giving them an advantage over traditional fill pillows. They are hypoallergenic and have anti-microbial features as well. Here is a great source of resources for selecting the best memory foam pillow.
What Are The Advantages?
- Many users say this type of pillow will reduce sleep apnea and snoring. This can be welcome news for a spouse or partner. A normal fill pillow will tilt the head upward and forward. This can close the air passages at the top of the neck. The memory foam fits the shape of the neck. By using a memory foam pillow for this particular health concern, the air passages remain open. This prevents snoring and sleep apnea.
- Using a Memory Foam Pillow promotes the normal curvature of the spine. While regular contour pillows are preshaped to match the natural curves of the spine and neck, a memory foam pillow has an added advantage. The custom curve that results from the best memory foam pillow cradles the neck and reduces soreness.
- It alleviates key pressure points. The foam curves around the contours of the body and supports each pressure point equally. Both the curve of the neck and the top of the spine receive evenly distributed support. This will reduce numbness caused by stressed nerve endings that sometimes result from regular fill pillows and ill fitting mattresses.
- Memory foam pillows provide the consumer an opportunity to try the material prior to purchasing a foam mattress. Foam mattresses represent a significant investment. In addition, the best memory foam pillow will have a longer life than traditional pillows.
- Those who suffer from allergies will gain considerable relief by switching to a memory foam pillow. Down and feathers provide the perfect hothouse environment for dust mites and other allergens. Memory foam resists mites and allergens.
- Memory foam pillows will complement a traditional spring mattress. Many users may find they have no need to invest in a new mattress once they have tried a memory foam pillow. New mattresses can be extremely expensive. Frequently, a consumer will obtain all the best benefits of memory foam with just the pillow.
Memory foam pillows come in a wide variety of types and shapes. Which type is best suited to the individual user depends upon his or her needs. The pillows come in the following styles: contour, neck roll, egg crate, V-shaped, wedge shaped and a traditional pillow shape. In addition, the items can come in two types of foam: low density and high density. There is a style to address any health need.
A memory foam pillow is a welcome addition to the bedroom for anyone who suffers from sore necks and aching backs. They pillows promote restful sleep by supporting the neck, head and back. Believers in memory foam pillows will advocate their use as an antidote to everything from snoring and sleep apnea to heartburn. These items are easy to care for. In addition, they are hypoallergenic and antimicrobial. These pillows provide the quintessential comfort to reduce aches and pains and produce a good night’s sleep.